Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Hey! Lauren Weinstein interview!

Courtesy of Jeff Mason's e-mail: there's an interview with Inside Vineyland creator Lauren Weinstein at Flagpole Magazine.

Of special interest, on The State Of Comics:

With self publishing comes ultimate freedom. The fact that you don't have to think of your "target audience" is a godsend for the creative person wanting to express themselves. Just don't expect to rake in the cash.

I think that the comics boom everyone is talking about is definitely taking shape in America: next year a whole slew of "underground" cartoonists will release books through Holt, Harper Collins, Norton, Random House and Pantheon. I think it's exciting because for the first time, people are getting real money for these incredible labors of love.

I want to see more stories. Not so much artsy stuff that leaves you wanting some content, and not so much personal-journal stuff that leaves you wanting to rent Total Recall or something.


I can't say I disagree with her. Also, definitely check out Inside Vineyland if you have a couple bucks to spare. I bought it at MoCCA last year and adored it.

|