Random links from around the comics internet
I've got nothing to say today--it's a short day, as I'm leaving soon to go to my wife's second college graduation in three years. Also, I haven't slept, as I started dogsitting a rather rambunctious St. Bernard last night (upping the household dog count to four), and he thinks that 4AM is a stellar time to settle down and sleep, so... I'm going to let smart people do the heavy lifting for me.
Smart Person #1: Neil Kleid: In his latest column for Scryptic Studios, Kleid talks about getting a Xeric Grant, and the work it takes to get there. I can't make any pull quotes, but the whole thing is good stuff, even for people who aren't making comics and don't need a grant--it's just good reading.
Smart Person #2: Shawn Hoke:
Shawn is smart because we like a lot of the same comics, and I am smart (please read in the joking tone I'm trying to go for with that). Anyway, he's finally gotten around to checking out True Story, Swear To God, which he liked.
Now, this being my first issue of True Story, I don't know Tom or Lily and there's no reason that I should care about either one of them. But, almost immediately I do. Beland gives you all the details as the first pages unfold. By the second page, you're up to speed with the story and ready to move on with the events of his new life in San Juan. There's nothing earth shattering here, just the little moments that make up a life piled on top of each other. But, Beland has a deft touch in piling up those little moments and connecting with the reader.
The art in TSSTG feels more like the art of a comic strip than a comic book. Beland's characters are created with simple swooping lines that combine to form surprisingly expressive features. Like many good cartoonists, he often uses less rather than more to depict characters. Panels featuring conversations are unadorned, with a white background directing the reader's eyes to the characters, while panels featuring Beland's new surroundings are suddenly alive with detail. Again, it helps the reader focus on what's important to the story at that moment.
Smart Person #3: Kevin Church:
I want to be Kevin when I grow up. Since that won't happen, I'll have to buy this Eisner/Miller book he's talking up, just to get a few strokes closer. Or, barring that, I should at least reread Shop Talk for shits and giggles.
Golf strokes. I measure distance in club lengths.
Smart Person #4: Steven Berg:
I really want to jump into this conversation Steven started, but not having seen either Kill Bill, I don't think it'd be right to jump in half-cocked. Still, I guess I could ask him his feelings on hip hop stemming from this comment:
I don’t like Kill Bill much, but I think its hyper-fanboy pomo aesthetic is sort of interesting—mostly, admittedly, as a contrast to other movies that I actually like. But I am fascinated by remix art, so Kill Bill was entertaining in that it gave me stuff to think about in relation to that, even if I’m nonplussed by claims as to its deep morality.
The only thing I can add is that I love the RZA...
Smart Person #5: Alan David Doane:
If ADD can't sell you on the R. Crumb Handbook, no one can. He sums up everything I loved about it.
Of course, there are plenty more smart people around and such, but I need to finish up some things before I make the long drive up to where the graduation/pinning ceremony thing is being held.
...
Fuck. I'm obnoxious when I don't sleep. Of course, I'm obnoxious when I do sleep, too... Hopefully, Beth's graduation and drinks afterwards will help me get a better night's sleep tonight.

<< Home