Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Another quick link: On Reviewing

A site I had previously dismissed, Comic Foundry, has posted an interesting conversation with Tom Spurgeon on reviewing comics and comics criticism.

There's a lot of good stuff in there. Here's just one bit:

You should consider it a great thing if people are combative in response to something you're written; it's a really high compliment, similar to the compliment you paid to the art in question by choosing to write about it. I would say that you want to get to the point where your reviews speak for themselves, and not get mired in a back-and-forth argument. That's sort of how I feel about the Internet generally, now. There's an assumption online that if someone says something you have to counter it or that other person wins! But they're not filing a brief in court that demands a response; they're just trying to get you into an argument. In most cases, life's too short.

I'd make a "Spurgeon wins" comment, but that would throw everything out of whack.

|