Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Well, I've got to say something about it, don't I?

Yes, I admit it - I'm not the happiest camper today. But, after much hair-pulling and kitten-kicking, I've decided to "buck up, buttercup," and just get on with the next four years. My little burst of hope comes from the way it turned out: at the very least, we're not being subjected to months of recount hell and name-calling. So, hopefully, we can kick the crap out of this tower of Babel we're facing and learn to speak one another's language to find some common denominator.

However, I do have some fears on it. For one, voters in eleven states decided to approve of the notion that "marriage = one man + one woman, which really goes against my idealization of America. This, in fact, was probably my chief concern in the election, and it comes as a blow to my faith in the voters of this country. Religious reasons are fine and dandy, but I fear a future where people are forced to lead second-class lives because they don't adhere to what those in power feel is "morally proper." Rather, I'd like to see a nation governed on logic, reason and tolerance. This, more than any other issue, as brought a chill to my spine, and a lump in my throat. Also, if someone has non-religious rationalle for being opposed to letting two men or two women marry and live in peace, I'd really like to hear one that can't somehow be traced back to:

• gay sex is icky
• it's a sin
• it offends me

So, if you've got an explanation, I won't shout you down. Debate a little, maybe. But I am honestly curious - not curious in changing my own perspective, but understanding yours.

Oh, and yay, Gail Simone, for finding her own silver lining:

I admit this morning and last night, I was very disturbed by what I felt was a definite turn for the worse in American politics. But there are silver linings...

First, I've read what some of the new Republicans have to say--a couple are actually fiscal conservatives in deed, not just rhetoric. That could be a good thing. I also hope some of them are aware that only half the country supports them. We may have the next great politician in this group, the next great uniter. Who knows?

Second, a lot of apathetic people on both sides became activists. This is a positive thing for our country, no matter how it falls today.

Third, it's just possible that when the president starts thinking about his legacy, as his father did, as Reagan did, he may well start to enact legislation more like what he pushed early in his presidency, and less like the stuff towards the end. I believe there is a good man inside of George W, and I hope we see that man again soon. I'm not kidding myself, but I am hopeful.


I hope so too, Gail.

|