Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Taking a break from BOOK WEEK to vent...

So, much like any job, being a programming person for a television station has it's share of "idiot customers," (for more comics-centered occupational griping, see Dorian) but today's call has me pissed off.

Anyway, I suppose in the pre-game for last night's Monday Night Football, there was a "risque" commercial. The important bits of the message I received regarding the commercial:

"...that Terrell Owens, that football player for the Eagles, he was standing there in uniform and this young blonde girl, white girl standing there with just a towel wrapped around her trying to coax him not to go on the field, but to make a long story short. you may have seen the commercial or not, but then she drops her towel and then he takes a look and she jumps into his arms, and then the commercial goes off. We talked about the Janet Jackson thing concerning last year's Superbowl, but this one right here, I mean the tastelessness of this was probably shocking to anyone that probably seen it... I think that was very tasteless, especially since it's a family program..."

He made a point to say that this girl was white. Why emphasize that? I didn't see this commercial, but the guy makes a specific point of mentioning the race issue, so I'd guess that's what really offended him. Unlike the Janet Jackson thing, I don't believe there was any nipplage - if there was, I'd have received a lot more calls by this point - but this is somehow more offensive than aged and pierced boobies. I don't know who this Terrell Owens is, but a quick google search confirms that he is, well, you know...

black.

Or maybe I'm just touchy today. But if my hypothesis is correct, he's the kind of person that makes me want to vomit.

|