Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I Heart The Comics Blogosphere

Maybe it's the holiday spirit talking, but lately I've been feeling really mushy whenever I think of the Comics Blogosphere. I'm sure I could find things to complain about if I thought about it long enough, but, hey, let's stay in the moment and look at all the wonderful entertainment the blogosphere has to offer -- for free, no less!

Scipio over at newly-renamed Sword of The Absorbascon really, really hates the idea of the Aquaman relaunch, which has made for some funny snark-filled posts.

Over at Progressive Ruin, Mike Sterling flexes his journalistic muscles in a human-interest piece examining the bizarre lifestyle of a sad, sad individual.

Will Pfeifer links to this page of amazing 3D sidewalk art.

Tom Foss hosts a special "All Luthor" episode of The Dating Game.

Over at Lady, That's My Skull, Sleestak finds evidence that Batman wasn't always so anti-killing in (of all places) an old Hostess Twinkies ad.

Adam Stephanides at Completely Futile has some great manga-related links, including this site with lots of detailed analyses of manga art (including this wonderful discussion of action in top-selling Naruto) and this TCJ message board discovery of a Watchmen homage in some unidentified manga.

Steve Pheley offers three alternative takes on All-Star Superman #1. After you've read this meta-review, you won't need to read any others!

There's plenty of comic book goofiness in every post over at What WERE They Thinking, but I love the examination of the Legion of Super-Heroes' utterly horrible fashion sense. Plus, the examples of silver age sexism are hilariously bad as well.

But most of all, I love Dave's Long Box. Dave's blog is always a good read, with creative features, plenty of images to illustrate the points he's making, and a fresh, lively writing style full of wit and joy. It's the kind of blog you can end up taking for granted because it's so consistently good: How do you single out one post to highlight when they're all such fun to read? Answer: When it contains a concept this inspired. This week, Dave rolled out a new feature titled "Comic Book Fashion Disaster," but what makes the feature so brilliant is the twist that Dave isn't mocking superhero costumes -- he's ridiculing the everyday clothes heroes wear when they're in their civilian identities. Genius! (I always did wonder about those bright, boldly colored suits men wore in the early Marvel Universe.) Plus, he's managed to find an example of comic book anatomy even more grotesque than anything I ever examined when I ran my old blog. I salute you for your courage and your comedy, fine sir, and I can't wait for that promised evisceration of Avengers Unplugged #3.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure there's much, much more comic-related awesomeness out there; this is just a sampling of stuff I've run across and enjoyed recently. So get out there and explore the ever-expanding comics blogosphere: There's almost sure to be something that will appeal to you. Excelsior!!

|