Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Contest time, but not by me.

Over at Comic World News, Shawn Hoke is trying to push the best comics-related magazine out there:

I also wanted to point out that Marvel scribe Brian Michael Bendis is interviewed in next week's issue of The Comic Journal. Not kidding. I won't go into my song and dance about TCJ being the best comics publication on the stands (it is dammit!), but I wanted to mention this and extend an offer to those readers who haven't yet given The Journal a try. If you email me your reason for not trying TCJ yet in 500 words or less, I'll enter your name in a drawing (I'll pick the entry that entertains me the most) for my copy of the Bendis issue. That's right, I'm giving away my copy of this issue, and creating a gaping hole in my Journal run, just so you, Mr. or Mrs. Non Journal Reader, can be exposed to the magic for free.


Rules and Regulations:

-Those affiliated with Comic World News are not eligible.

-You must be 18 or older, cause sometimes there's boobies (I'm not promising Bendis boobies, mind you) and stuff and I don't wanna get in trouble for sending out "filth" in the mail.

-Please don't enter if you're an avid Journal reader just wanting to score a free copy from a struggling columnist. This is all about getting this book in someone's hands who has never read the magazine.

-Keep it to 500 words or less.


Under Dirk Deppey, The Comics Journal seems to be making an attempt to counter the criticism that it is horribly elitist, unwilling to discuss mainstream and genre comics, and whatever other barbs are thrown its way. Or, to put it another way... this is probably the closest we'll ever see to an Amazing Heroes revival. Steven Grant's writing for TCJ now. Tom Spurgeon is doing a superhero-centric column now.

Also, this is the 2004 Year In Review issue, which will likely highlight the best that comics has to offer.

I mean, if you want to keep thinking that Cape Fancy is the only comics-related magazine out there, I can't stop you (of course, there are plenty others, like Comic Art and CBG and The Comics Interpreter, but this contest isn't about them, and there really are some people that think Wizard is the only magazine about comics). And I know I'm, for the most part, preaching to the choir here, but I'm sure someone reading this either hasn't read TCJ, or hates it for some reason. Check out the contents of the issue if you're still on the fence.

(Also, Shawn talks about The Pin-Up Art of Dan DeCarlo--the column isn't just spreading TCJ love.)

|