Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Scorecard! Getcha scorecard!

A few people have responded to Chris Butcher's call for answers about comics journalism.

• Chris has already started to weigh in, and promises that more is coming.

• Overachiever that she is, Johanna Draper Carlson responds not only once, but twice. She's one response away from a Stevie Wonder song!

• Matt Maxwell also chimes in.

Also, see the replies on the individual entries for more - I'm not technically adept enough to link to comments directly.

I'm happy that these three are all in the discussion, because they're all wonderfully blunt and to the point. That's another thing that plagues the comics internet - often, no one is willing to say the unpopular thing, or to stop sugar-coating things. Decorum is fine in some cases - if you are a character in a Jane Austen novel, in one instance - but it often stifles open discussion. I think we're all adult enough to be frank and maintain civility. Let's keep it up!


Now, a little link-blogging:

• As reported elsewhere (Kevin Melrose, among others), The Advocate has an on-line interview with How Loathsome creators Ted Naifeh and Tristan Crane.

David Welsh talks about CSI. The thing I took away from the Entertainment Weekly article he mentions was that I really never need to buy another copy of Entertainment Weekly. I don't know why I was thinking that the cover story would be longer than four pages, or more substantial in content, but it did get irritating that each star of the series made the same points.

Graeme McMillan links to something that may inspire me to start reading Daredevil.

I hate Graeme. But it's almost his birthday, so I'll let it slide. You know, I love looking at wish lists at Amazon - it's a revealing (but almost voyeuristic) look at a person's taste. I think I smell a blog entry on it coming on at some point.

• Also, Eliot Johnson is now blogging. I've seen him around a few message boards under Tek-something-or-other. He's seventeen, and gives me hope for the future of comics fans - many fans of his age really don't stretch their reading out past Marvel and DC. Hell, there are tons of thirty-year-old fans who don't, either.

And I'm not just linking him because the most recent post at this time is pointing to Shawn Hoke's column.

I think that's it for today - yesterday was a relative disaster. I had to leave work early to replace all my tires (two flats in two days is probably a sign of something), and then had to have a dentist appointment. But, even though I'm utterly broke right now, I'm still budgeting a little money to make it to the Small Press Expo this weekend.

|