Wednesday, August 31, 2005

One year in...

I started this blog on my twenty-fifth birthday, so I've spent exactly one year blogging about comics (and, er, pictures of my dogs).

There were highlights and lowlights, as one might expect. Some of the best posts, though, came from blogpartner John Jakala (all of them, if you take into account that it was John and Graeme, among others, that bullied me into starting a blog in the first place). So, big ups to John for helping out (and Dennis and Shawn, who filled in for me while I was away on vacation a few months back).

Some of the highlights of my involvement in the comics internet, 8/04-8/05:

• My 100 Things I Love About Comics list (and John's list too!)
• Contemplating biases of the internerd (and while most of the original discussion is gone, the recent angry outrage comment is still there!).
The Idea Store, something I hope to revisit with more new, free ideas for people who actually want to make comics (and maybe I'll talk about the one I almost started working on myself). As far as I know, those fifty ideas already posted are still available for use.
• The porn and comics debate.
• Some thoughts on comics interviews.
• J'Onn J'Onnz and superhero comics I'd want to see, as well as the indy vs. mainstream battle, all in one post. Admittedly, that's not an actual feat, per se, but more of an indication of my tendency to ramble.

And a few offsite ones:

• An interview with Amanda Fisher of Muse Comics, focusing on an excellent print ad her store used to self-promote.
• A rather long-winded look at editing in comics and, er, The Great Gatsby.
• Comic World News interviews with Rick Smith, Jim Rugg and Adam Suerte.
• The thing I'm probably most proud of, my interview with Tom Spurgeon over at Comic Book Galaxy.

Really, though, thanks for sticking with us for the year. I'm hoping that the next few months of blogging will have more original content, less linking for the sake of linking (I had no idea how much I tend to fall back on linkblogging until I went through the archives... shit!), and other good stuff. I'll probably be blogging less, as things at work and at home are requiring more of my time, but I'm hoping that will have me blogging more of when I have something to say, rather than blogging just to say something.

|